Thursday, November 3, 2011

Post 3

“He patted me on the back, pleased that something had been rescued from the dismal and expensive afternoon, and told me that yes, now, finally, everything would be OK.” I think this quote is significant to the chapter because I think it symbolizes Nick and his father’s relationship. The word, “OK”, sticks out to me because the word is used for reassurance. Even though the quote was suggesting towards the soccer game they were attending. The team they were rooting for was losing is foreshadow for their relationship. I say that because Nick’s father gave him some reassurance on how Arsenal would be fine. In the end Arsenal lost. This is important to the book because Nick is at a vulnerable stage in his life. He felt disappointed to find out that his father lied to him in-turn trusting his father is going to be hard for him to do. Then Nick goes on to say that was his father’s, “second betrayal of the day.” This is foreshadowing their relationship in the future when Nick is older. This makes it harder for Nick to become closer to his father and I think that Nick will eventually not bother with his father.

No comments:

Post a Comment